Here are a few tips on how you and your family can stay healthy
Physiotherapy and Adults
- Stay active. Maintaining regular physical activity improves circulation, muscle and brain function, and can help reduce symptoms from other chronic health issues. Keep active at a pace that is best for you by doing strength and cardiovascular exercises.
- For women, a regular exercise program can help for osteoporosis by helping to build stronger bones and prevent fractures.
- For seniors, challenge your equilibrium and balance regularly to help prevent falls. Use a physio ball, stand on one leg, or walk a line.
- Energize yourself after sitting for a long time - get up, stretch, flex your arms and legs.
- For minor aches and pains after sports activities, use an ice pack for up to 15 minutes.
- When doing chores and housework, follow our tips for gardening, lifting and show shovelling.
Physiotherapy and Kids
- Keep kids active. Kids should be physically active everyday and watch their diet. Keeping active and adopting healthy behaviours early will help to avoid more serious health issues as adults.
- When kids are at the computer, keep the monitor at eye level and the keyboard and mouse at elbow level. Make sure they stand up and move around every half hour.
- To protect kids from back-pack injuries, they should wear both shoulder straps and keep it light.
Physiotherapy and the Workplace
- To avoid back injuries from lifting, keep knees bent and tight stomach, and hold the weight close to your body.
- If you're sitting at a desk, keep computer monitors at eye level and the keyboard and mouse at elbow level. Take breaks during the day and make sure you stand up and move.